Sunday, October 27, 2013

Live Love Derek

I think at one point I intended for this blog to be a place where I would share my rambling thoughts about other things in addition to dogs, but up until now that has not been the case.

Dogs teach us to live for each moment, that there is no other way to be than honest and true, that appreciation feels good for both the giver and receiver, and that humans make love and life way too complicated. Life would be so much simpler if I wrote the rules.

You know who does write his own rules? Ricky Gervais. ...Wha...?! Yep, he's today's subject, my first non-dog post, and here's why - He makes me laugh. A LOT. Just his laugh makes me laugh and my laugh makes my dogs happy, so really, this post does tie into life with my dogs. He's also warmhearted, intelligent and a huge animal rights advocate. ...I might marry him, if he's lucky.

[end animal testing]

"Most people I've met who weren't kind to animals weren't kind to people either. Kindness is kindness. Simple as that."

"Some people are threatened by other peoples' empathy for things they don't share. They lash out and deem it wrong to comfort themselves."

"Dear intelligent people of the world, don't get shampoo in your eyes. It really stings. There. Done. Now f*#ing stop torturing animals."

(He's back-that-ass-up-and-make-me-a-sandwich awesome, right!??!)

A little over a month ago, the series Derek premiered on Netflix (written, directed, and starring Gervais). It's a program about a special man with simple needs who works at a nursing home. He loves the old people he cares for, his friends and animals.
It's bittersweet to say the least. Timing is everything - as silly as it may seem, this series has helped me through what has been a tough time, the subject matter has some relevancy for me right now, and I just love that it was created by a fellow animal lover. The message is clear - live simply, care for those you love, feel everything, and have fun where you can. Kindness is magic. Want to laugh and cry? Watch it.

Don't think you have enough heart to watch it? Well, then you and I probably shouldn't be friends. ;-)
At least watch these two animal videos that Derek absolutely loves. Only watch if you have sound though - it's all about the great songs that will worm into your brain and create happiness where there once was none!

'He can't believe his luck. He loves picnics and he loves ice cream. I love him.' -Derek Noakes

No comments:

Post a Comment